Managed to teach an elderly aunt how to
- get text messages on her flip phone,
- so she could sign up for Skype
- so she could share her screen
- so I could help her diagnose her email problem
- using Windows Live Messenger
- by doing a Skype + Conference call with her ISP to change her password and settings.
So Skype requires a gmail/yahoo account (won't let you use a "business" account like kmtel) so sign up with phone was the only option.
Had to explain 'soft keys' plus there were 100 texts that had never been read.
Skype created account password wasn't confirmed, so had to change password
Windows Live Messenger is a hot mess. SO. MANY. BUTTONS.
pop3 + smtp with differing passwords (pop3 was fine, smtp not)